Recognize that: 

  • Insurance companies won’t cover mechanical failure or breakdown, rusting, wear and tear, freezing or explosion within the engine and damage to tires unless they result from an insured peril (such as a collision)
  • Your insurance company is allowed to deny payment for loss or damage caused to the vehicle in an accident, if you or anyone you let drive your vehicle:
  • Was unable to maintain proper control of the vehicle because you (or they) were driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Is convicted of one of the following Criminal Code offences (or any similar offences under any other law in Canada or the United States) relating to the use, care, or control of the vehicle:
  • Causing death or injury by criminal negligence
  • Failure to stop at the scene of an accident
  • Driving a vehicle when impaired or with more than 80 mg/100 ml of alcohol in the blood
  • Refusal to provide the police with a breath sample
  • Causing injury when driving a vehicle while impaired or with over 80 mg/100ml of alcohol in the blood
  • Driving the vehicle while disqualified from doing so

Except for certain accident benefits, there is no coverage for anyone, including passengers, if:

  • A person drives your vehicle without your consent. Or by someone specifically excluded from your policy by the OPCF 28A (Excluded Driver Endorsement)
  • The vehicle is used to carry explosives or radioactive materials
  • The vehicle is used as a taxicab, bus or sightseeing vehicle, or to carry paying passengers such as with a ridesharing service
  • If you intend to participate in a ridesharing service as a driver, you should check with your auto insurance representative to ensure you have proper insurance that protects the driver, passenger and others. See FSRA’s list of approved auto insurance policies.