If you wish to deal in mortgages as a mortgage broker in Ontario, you must apply to upgrade your mortgage agent licence with the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA). In order to be a mortgage broker, you must have been already licensed as a mortgage agent for at least 24 months in the 36-month period before your application.
About the licence
A mortgage broker is a professional who deals or trades in mortgages for a licensed mortgage brokerage. They may also be responsible for supervising the activities of one or more mortgage agents. All individuals acting as mortgage agents or mortgage brokers must have a licence from FSRA.
Requirements for getting a licence
If you wish to become a licensed mortgage broker in Ontario, you must:
- Be 18 years of age or older.
- Be a resident of Canada.
- Have already been licensed as a mortgage agent for at least 24 months during the 36-month period prior to your mortgage broker application.
- Have an Ontario mailing address that can receive registered mail (not a post office box).
- Complete the approved mortgage broker education program within three years before you apply for the mortgage broker licence.
- Complete an approved mortgage agent course if you have not already done so. For more information, review the mortgage agent licence requirements.
Mortgage broker education program
Before applying for your mortgage broker licence, you will need to take a course approved by FSRA and pass an exam. This course is only offered through Mortgage Professionals Canada and is available in English and French.
You must apply for your broker licence within three years of completing the course. For more information, view the program details and enrolment requirements on Mortgage Professionals Canada's website.
Why is there only one education provider for the mortgage brokers course?
Fewer individuals seek licensing as mortgage brokers, compared to mortgage agents. FSRA selects the education provider for the program approximately every four years, using the provincial government’s competitive procurement process. As a result of this process, Mortgage Professionals Canada will continue to offer the program until at least late 2021.
There is no fee to apply to obtain an Ontario mortgage broker licence, as long as your mortgage agent licence has not expired.
Education equivalency requests
Certain individuals might qualify for a broker licence without completing the mortgage broker education program, if they meet other education and experience requirements. To see if you qualify, review the education equivalency criteria.
Ready to apply for a licence?
If you have met all the requirements for becoming a licensed mortgage broker, the Principal Broker of your brokerage then initiates your licence application through Licensing Link. To successfully complete your licence application, you must:
- Click on the application link sent by your Principal Broker. This link will take you to Licensing Link.
- Complete the application as directed and click "Submit."
Your brokerage's Principal Broker will then review your licence application before submitting.