Insurance adjusters from the United States can apply for a Letter of Authority adjuster licence in Ontario.

The Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) regulates and licenses all adjusters in Ontario.

About the Ontario licence

Sponsorship with an adjusting company is required

As an adjuster in Ontario, you need to be sponsored by an Ontario-licensed adjusting firm at all times.

  • Your adjusting firm is responsible for confirming you meet all licensing requirements, and managing the application process for your licence.
  • As the adjuster, you are responsible for maintaining your licence.

Letter of Authority for U.S. applicants

If you meet the requirements as a new applicant, you will be given a Letter of Authority. This enables you to work as an adjuster in Ontario. However, you will not be able to do the following:

  • Sign any report or communication addressed to an insurer
  • Sign any other correspondence without permission of your adjusting company.
  • Negotiate the settlement of any bodily injury claim
  • Authorize repairs to a property or agree to accept any bill regarding a claim without the consent of your adjusting company

If you now live in Ontario:

If you have moved to Ontario and hold a Full Adjuster Licence in your home state, FSRA cannot issue an equivalent licence in Ontario. You would have to qualify as a new Ontario applicant. Visit Apply for a new insurance adjuster licence for details.

Fee for a new application

The fee to apply for a new adjuster licence is C$75. This fee will cover your first year up to June 30. Then, you will need to renew it to keep your licence active.

In most cases, your adjusting firm will pay the fee. Check with them if you have any questions.

What are the requirements to apply from the U.S.?

Education exemption

New adjusters in Ontario must complete an education program to qualify for a Full Adjuster Licence.

However, as a U.S. applicant, you can apply for a Letter of Authority without completing the education program. You will need to meet all other eligibility requirements to get the Ontario licence.

If you do want to upgrade to a Full Adjuster Licence in Ontario, you will have to apply as a new Ontario applicant and complete the education program. Visit Apply for a new insurance adjuster licence for details.

Checklist for a new licence

Review this checklist to ensure you are ready to apply for a new licence in Ontario.


  • Provide a criminal record check from the state that you are currently reside in.
  • Provide a Canadian criminal record check through FSRA’s approved vendor, Triton 
  • Be sponsored by an Ontario-licensed adjusting company.
  • Be legally entitled to work in Canada.
  • Be 18 years of age or older.
  • Confirm you are not licensed as an insurance agent or broker.
  • Be familiar with the laws of Ontario relating to the licensing of adjusters.

When you have met all of these requirements, you are ready to begin the application process.

New Criminal Record check process 

FSRA is changing its licensing process for criminal background checks to ensure the processes remain up to date. Criminal record checks are part of FSRA’s rigorous licence qualification process to protect consumers by ensuring only suitable individuals sell or offer financial products and services in Ontario. 

FSRA now requires licence applicants to complete their criminal record checks through our approved vendor Triton. You must complete a background check before you submit your FSRA application, using Triton’s website to complete the check. Once completed, you will need to provide a copy of your Triton receipt in your application to FSRA.

Please note that a fee of $19.15 applies for Triton’s service, and the background check is valid for 90 days.

If you have any further questions about the new background check process, please contact us.

Frequently asked questions – Background check process

Ready to apply for a new licence?

1. Download the Insurance Adjuster Application.

  • Right click on the link and choose Save link as to download the PDF to your computer or drive.

2. Fill out the application electronically.

  • Select Letter of Authority as the Type of Licence.
  • You will need to verify your suitability to have a licence by confirming:
    • You are a person of good character and reputation.
    • You have the appropriate education to be an adjuster.
    • You meet all licensing requirements and are a suitable person to receive a licence as an adjuster.
    • You have provided information about bankruptcies, lawsuits, criminal records, decisions from other regulators or licensing bodies or other employment information.
    • You will comply with Ontario’s laws and the requirements of the adjuster’s licence.

3. Ask your adjusting company to fill out Part D (Notice of Appointment).

4. Complete a background check through Triton.

5. Ask your adjusting company to submit the completed form and a copy of your Triton receipt through the Online Services Portal.

  • Your adjusting company will pay the fee through the Online Services Portal. Depending on the arrangement you have with your adjusting firm, they may pay the fee OR you may be responsible for paying this fee. Check with your adjusting firm for details.

What happens after the application is submitted:

FSRA will send you an email to confirm it has received your application.

Note: out-of-province applications often require additional reviews, so be aware that the process will likely take longer than 10 business days.

For most applications

  • It should take 10 business days for FSRA to issue your licence.
  • If approved, the licence will be sent to your adjusting firm.
  • Ask your adjusting firm for a copy of your licence.

If the application requires additional review

  • FSRA will send you a follow-up email to let you know your application requires additional review.
  • The email will include the name and contact information for the assigned Licensing and Registration Specialist.
  • The Specialist reviewing your application will contact you directly if additional information is required.
  • If approved, the licence will be sent to your adjusting firm.
  • Ask your adjusting firm for a copy of your licence.