It is time to file your annual returns.
Pursuant to Section 102 of the Insurance Act (Ontario), all Ontario insurers are required to file annual returns for the year ended on October 31, 2022 or December 31, 2022, with the Chief Executive Officer of the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario, or his or her designate. Section 447 of the Insurance Act provides penalties for those insurers who do not comply with the filing requirements.
If you do not file, your company is not compliant.
Please visit the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) website for filing requirements and reference documents.
Updates required for 2022 include:
- Notice - Filing of 2022 Annual Return for Ontario - Extra Provincial Insurance Companies Licensed in Ontario
- Notice 2022 - Premium Information for Cost Assessment - Non-Ontario Incorporated Property and Casualty Insurance Companies and Reciprocals
- 2022 Annual Returns and Instructions
- 2022 Memorandum and Instructions for the Actuary's Report on Property and Casualty Insurance Business
- 2022 Filing Information for Insurers Licensed in Ontario detailing Ontario filing requirements
- Consent and Notification pursuant to the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, Ontario
- 2022 Premium Information Used for Cost Assessment in Ontario
- Avoiding over-assessment for companies with insurance subsidiaries
The Filing Information for Insurers Licensed in Ontario details the forms and reports required by Ontario. We request that the 2022 annual returns be delivered in an electronic copy format (pdf, excel, ASCII file) as applicable versus a paper format as part of our process improvement measures. Please note the insurer number on each document filed. Where Auditors’ Reports are referenced, we require both the Auditors’ Report addressed to the primary regulator and the Auditors’ Report to the shareholders/policyholders together with the audited financial statements.
If the company intends to change its licence status (i.e. discontinuing, withdrawing or merging) the Licensing Approvals Unit should be contacted at [email protected]. If appropriate, adjustments will be made to the 2022 Preliminary Assessment.
All Section 102 filings should be filed with the Financial Services Regulatory Authority of Ontario (FSRA) by February 28, 2023. Please forward your electronic documents to [email protected]
For more information
If you have any issues or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact [email protected].
FSRA continues to work on behalf of all stakeholders, including consumers, to ensure financial safety, fairness, and choice for everyone.
Learn more at www.fsrao.ca.