If you believe your insurance company has violated the Insurance Act and/or its regulations, please follow these steps before filing a complaint with FSRA:

File a complaint with your insurance company and obtain a final position letter from the insurance company.

Step 1: Find your insurance company's complaint officer
Step 2: Request a final position letter on your case. 
Step 3: If your insurer has not referred you to the OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance (OLHI) and you feel the insurance company or agent may have breached the Insurance Act, then send a complaint to FSRA. FSRA will consider your complaint if relevant documentation exists that supports your complaint.

FSRA considers a range of outcomes when reviewing consumer complaints:

  • If the matter is not something we can take action on, we will let you know or may refer you to an organization that can help
  • If we need more information from you, we will contact you
  • If the matter you have raised does not break any laws we enforce, we will close the case
  • If the matter you have raised potentially breaks any laws we enforce, we will consider what action, if any, we should take

To file a complaint with FSRA, please complete the Complaint Form.

External Dispute Resolution Organizations

Learn more about Ontario’s external dispute resolution organizations below:

OmbudService for Life & Health Insurance (OLHI) – OLHI is an independent and impartial alternative dispute resolution public service for any Canadian life and health insurance consumer whose company is an OLHI member.