By law, all mortgage brokers (including principal brokers) and agents in Ontario must complete an approved continuing education (CE) course before they can renew their licence by March 31, 2020.
2020 Ontario Continuing Education Course for Mortgage Brokers (estimated seven hours to complete)
2020 Ontario Continuing Education Course for Agents (estimated five hours to complete)
Note: Agents may choose to takethe broker course instead of the agent course if they wish.
Enrol starting on November 1, 2019!
FSRA has approved the course providers listed below for 2019-2020. To enrol – or for more information, including course outlines and costs – visit the website of your preferred course provider:
- Canadian Mortgage Brokers Association - Ontario: Offers broker and agent course in-class or online. Available in English only.
- Mortgage Professionals Canada: Offers broker and agent course in-class and online. Available in English only.
- Real Estate and Mortgage Institute of Canada Inc.: Offers broker and agent course in-class and online. In-class option available in English only; online option available in English and French.
About the CE courses
The CE courses provide mortgage brokers and agents with important information on professional practices, private lending and investing. The courses are designed to help increase compliance with the Mortgage Brokerages, Lenders and Administrators Act (MBLAA), 2006 and best practices for:
- detecting, preventing and reporting mortgage fraud;
- providing required disclosures to borrowers, investors/lenders, authorizing brokerages and regulators;
- ensuring suitability of products for borrowers and investors/lenders; and
- ensuring advertising is compliant with the MBLAA and regulations.
If you have any questions about the courses, contact the course providers directly using the links above.
For other questions, speak to your mortgage brokerage’s principal broker.