Mortgage fraud is a serious offence that in some cases, can lead to criminal charges. It occurs when unscrupulous, or unlicensed players in the home-buying process, take advantage of homebuyers by charging unlawful fees or inflated interest rates, sometimes even submitting fraudulent mortgage applications.
Learn to protect yourself
With the excitement and heightened emotions that come with buying a home, identifying mortgage fraud in the moment, is not always easy. The following resources will help you protect your family, home and investment.
- Read our watch-list of suspect activities
- Take our Red Flags of Mortgage Fraud quiz
- Watch Red Flags of Mortgage Fraud video:
Other important links
- Scams and warning notices: Keep up-to-date with mortgage scams to watch out for
- Understanding the Risks of Getting a Mortgage: Buying a home involves a lot more than saving for a down payment. Here’s what to watch for
- The Mortgage Application Process: Buying a house? Learn how to secure a mortgage loan
- Using a Mortgage Agent/Broker: Find out what they can do for you as part of your home buying team
For additional information, or to report suspected mortgage fraud: Ask a Question, File a Complaint or Report Fraud
Toll free: 1-800-668-0128