Consumer Advisory Panel Members
Laura Tamblyn Watts
FSRA Management and Presenters in Attendance
Mark White – CEO
Huston Loke – EVP, Market Conduct
Glen Padassery – EVP, Policy and Chief Consumer Officer
Stephen Power – EVP, Corporate Services
Jordan Solway – EVP, Legal & Enforcement
Judy Pfeifer – Chief Public Affairs Officer
Erica Hiemstra – Head, Market Conduct – Insurance Conduct
David Bartucci – Director, Policy – Pensions and Consumer Office (Acting)
Joel Gorlick – Director, Policy – Market Conduct
Jason Harris – Director, Policy & Rule Making and Deputy General Counsel – Legal & Enforcement
Ivy Ou – Director, Products and Expenses – Auto/Insurance Products
Daniel Padro – Director, Policy – Credit Union
Elissa Sinha – Director, Litigation and Enforcement and Deputy General Counsel – Legal & Enforcement
Stuart Wilkinson – Director, Policy – Auto/P&C
Chris Zolis – Director, Forensic Analysis and Investigations – Legal & Enforcement
Heather Kay – Senior Manager, Policy – Strategic Policy
Victoria Lesau – Senior Manager, Policy – Auto Reform
- The Panel and FSRA’s discussion focused on FSRA’s proposed FY2022-23 Statement of Priorities.
- The Panel and FSRA also discussed plans for the Panel’s third term, which is scheduled to start in early 2022.
Discussion Topics of Focus
Welcome and Meeting Overview
- FSRA welcomed Panel members to the fifth official Consumer Advisory Panel meeting of the 2021 term.
- FSRA provided a brief overview of the agenda for the meeting.
FSRA FY2022-23 Statement of Priorities (SOP)
- FSRA provided an overview of the SOP process, including specific changes and improvements for FY2022-23.
- FSRA offered an overview of the SOP, including cross-sectoral and sector-specific priorities.
- The Panel and FSRA had a macro-level conversation about the SOP, which included:
- The duration of FSRA’s consultation periods and the impact on consumer input; and
- Potential mechanisms for providing consumer advocates/stakeholders with support for their consumer-oriented efforts.
Fair Treatment of Consumers in Uses of Big Data Analytics in Auto Insurance
- FSRA solicited the Panel’s input on FSRA’s draft Auto Insurance Data & Analytics Technical Advisory Committee Report (“BDA Fairness Report”).
- The Panel raised questions and considerations for FSRA, including:
- The relationship between big data and innovation; and
- Consumers’ expectations regarding insurers’ data use and data sharing.
Consumer Representation in Regulatory Governance
- FSRA provided a forum for the Panel to discuss the topic of consumer representation in regulatory governance.
Review of 2021 Term and Planning for 2022 Term
- FSRA and the Panel discussed the upcoming Panel term, including
- Member interest in continuing to serve on the Panel; and
- FSRA’s plan to release a call for expressions of interest and consult on the Terms of Reference.
- FSRA and the Panel discussed a number of topics, including the Panel’s mandate, scope, and potential opportunities for continuing to strengthen the model.
- Overall, Panel members expressed satisfaction with the existing model.
- FSRA committed to following up with the Panel about next steps for the 2022 term.
- The Panel’s next meeting is scheduled for December 8.